OmniPage Professional vs ABBYY FineReader Professional

Adrian Spratt Adrian at AdrianSpratt.com
Sat Sep 8 19:55:01 EDT 2012

What I wrote here, as I should have made clear, applies only to the
conversion of PDF files. I haven't used  OmniPage 18 with a scanner.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounces at lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces at lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:32 PM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Subject: RE: OmniPage Professional vs ABBYY FineReader Professional

Bob,

I haven't used Abbey, but I'm extremely happy with OmniPage 18. I found
installation and registration difficult and had to call Nuance for
assistance. As I write, I don't recall what the obstacle was. But once past
that hurdle, all I have to do is highlight the PDF file, press the
applications key and arrow down to OmniPage. I press enter, and I'm
presented with a list of options, which include MS Word, WordPerfect, RTF,
text, and so on. I press enter on my choice, and OmniPage proceeds to
perform OCR. A new file is created in the chosen format.

The results are better than anything I tried before, including earlier
versions of OmniPage. But again, I haven't compared it to Abbey.